The neighbourhood grew up during Catalonia’s industrial revolution in the nineteenth century, with the urbanization of the area surrounding the local factories.
Plaça Prim became urbanized in 1856. It was later given its name by federalists and republicans who wanted to honour General Prim for ending the absolutist reign of Isabel II in 1868.
Three ombús from the plains decorate Plaça Prim. For some they are trees, others consider them shrubs or giant herbs.
In the 1970s an industrial crisis in the textile sector shook Poblenou and sent it into an era of decline.